Thursday, June 19, 2014

"Y-E-S"

How to accessorize your perfect fairytale... This Dress is a Y-E-S!

It's so hard finding a dress right? Women search and search but to no avail. To some, dress shopping is disastrous.  I've seen so many "Say yes to the Dress" shows my eyes burned.  What goes into Wedding shopping? Skipping all the long boring details, if you're a woman who doesn't know what kind of dress she's looking for, my advice, before going into all the stores, pick up a catalog or two and start browsing.  Cut out pictures of what you think would look good on you and what you think won't. You'd be surprised, what you think might not look good, just might be the ONE.
True Story:  I picked out my wedding dress online, in a random catalog that had venues in it.  I will never forget the day I saw the dress, I immediately knew it was mine. I was searching for wedding venues online and I accidentally clicked on a Chicago magazine.   362 pages in, I saw THE dress. Jaw dropped, I screamed.  It was perfect timing. I called the location (Priscilla of Boston) they told me it wasn't a dress that was actually in production, it was just a runway dress... WELL, as you can see...the rest was history. 
 SO now,  the burning questions...  
How should I accessorize my wedding dress?  
If your wedding dress has bold statement pieces, depending on the area, you should consider whether or not you should tone it up or down. (if you have crystals or a design on the chest, opt for a big bracelet, if it's on the hip-line, opt for a smaller bracelet, if you have a sweetheart neckline with jewels around, opt for not having a huge necklace)
 
I opted for bold loud pieces since my dress, although it was my statement piece (obviously) didn't have any crystals or diamonds on it.


What shoes should I pair with my dress? 
Some women opt to go the more comfortable route since their wedding dress is long.  I did as well... nobody knew i had little flats on under my dress... (I admit it) ( I did change into a shorter dress later on so I did wear my shoes, but for pictures sakes, it was worth every penny) 
I chose to pair the matching crystals from my bracelet and my bag, with my shoe.


"What should my significant other wear so he/she can also stand out but not clash with my dress/suit?" 

They say the wedding day is the "woman's day" but if you don't have a significant other to stand next to you... there most likely won't be anyone officiating a wedding with you and... well, yourself.  Remember you have to look at these pictures for the rest of your lives.  Do you really want the person standing next to you to look like he/she just rolled out of bed?

He felt it was best for him to wear a Gray suit, which matched well with my purples.  I made sure he had a touch of purple on him as well :-)   IT really is all in the details.

Once you've conquered the 2 main important people in the wedding party... everything else should fall into place. 

Since the parents of the bride usually walk her down the aisle, they should also be color coordinated. They may not necessarily match the bride/groom but they will also be taking pictures for the rest of the night, they should be somewhat "together"

Every bride wants to be different. There are many ways to enhance your wedding.
I opted for different colored parasols: ( i also had a parasol walking down the aisle)



the bridesmaids also had different shades of purples/pink on with parasols:


I felt it was best to have the groomsmen in all the same shade of Gray suits, however their inner vests and matching bow-ties were different shades of purple to match  the bridesmaids.


I raised the bar and "dared" to be different.  I know the rule "only the bride wears white" but my guests knew how obsessed I was with purple and I knew that 90% of them would be wearing purple (as evidenced by all the purple outfits at my engagement party) So I decided i wanted my bridesmaids to stand out:  At the reception, they all wore white dresses with different color purple sashes.



My husband and I also decided to change outfits:

He wore a gray suit with a black lapel (his favorite) black bow-tie with black tuxedo pants.
 I wore a Tadashi White see-through mid bodice dress with ostrich feathers... and my SHOES!


In the end, it's whatever you feel comfortable with.

No comments:

Post a Comment